Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My 'First' Paycheck

This time, the total amount I received matters. This time, all the deductions matter (I even searched for the tax computation to check and understand why I have such huge withholding tax)This time, even my absences matter. And this time, I thought, I should have insisted that, all those days in December that I should have been having my vacation somewhere out there (just like any other contractual faculty members like me) instead of working the whole day and even staying until 8pm in the office to finish some paper works, be compensated. This time, my paycheck DOES matter.

I had always been good in managing my money, specially when I was in college when I had to support myself. I survived my four years in the university receiving a weekly salary (depending on the mood of my students if they wanted to have class), and using that for all my daily expenses, as well as saving for my tuition and other fees in school. It wasn't enough of course, so by "managing money" I mean, really, putting into practice the Filipino saying, "kung maiksi ang kumot, matutong mamaluktot". And so when I received my first ever paycheck in my first ever job after college, I was extremely happy. Not just because I knew it was worth all the lessons I taught, test papers, quizzes, essays, and projects I checked, and all paper works I worked on; but because I knew then that I didn't have to think how much I should leave for my daily fare, food, monthly house rent, electricity and water, and to think if there would be anything left for my savings. My first year of salary (including my bonuses) was a 10-90 distribution between me and my mom. I didn't care that much whether there would be something left for me or none. I didn't care that much for all the deductions, for all the overtime I wasn't paid for, and for all my absences. I was extremely happy helping my mom and my family achieving the level of 'financial stability' (woah) we had always wanted to achieve. The following year I decided to study so I HAD to leave money for my tuition and other school expenses. So it became a 50-50 distribution. But other than that,nothing changed in the way I handled my money.


But as 2012 opened, I came to realize that I AM NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER. And as much as I want to remain the LOLA (Labor Of Love Association) President, and as much as I want not to care of how much I receive and where I spend them, I just CAN'T ANYMORE. I have to save for my future (naks). I have to know how to manage my money, the way I used to when I was in college. And with all the bills and monthly expenses that my family has to pay (not to mention that my sisters are starting to have their own family already), I HAVE TO CARE MUCH about my paycheck.

Today I received my first paycheck for the year, and the first paycheck that I know, I CARE MUCH ABOUT.




This time, the total amount I received matters. This time, all the deductions matter. This time, even my absences matter. This time, my paycheck DOES matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment