Wednesday, March 7, 2012

She's a mistress,now what?

The death of Congressman Iggy Arroyo has become a headline for the past few weeks in and out of the country. But more than his death, more than his affiliation to the former president and first gentleman, and more than his being a person, the drama between his common law wife, Grace Ibuna and his legal wife, Aleli Arroyo has really been the "talk of the town", specially on Twitter:


Yeah, I know these tweets I collected are all (almost all) against Ms. Grace Ibuna. I wanna say that I have nothing against them, but, I just can't help but feel really bad about how easily we people judge others just by what we see on TV, or hear from other people, or read on the news. For some reasons, all these hurt me. I am not in any way related to the Ibuna's. But I am a daughter of a "Grace Ibuna". I am a daughter of a mistress.


......
And now I wonder how much pain my mom had to go through on my Dad's death. Now I wonder how many "tweets" of hatred my mom received all the time she was with my dad. I wonder how she faced, or maybe is still facing all the judgements. And I wonder how she feels now about the Grace-Aleli issue.


We never talked about her being a mistress. Well, we never talked about it seriously. I mean, we joke about it. We make fun of the things we had to go through as illegitimate kids. Like when we say that we're more beautiful than our 'other' siblings so it's ok. Or that my mom was still my dad's master even if she was just a mistress. And stuff like that. Sometimes, I want to take courage to ask her how she really feels about the issue. About her being a mistress. About us being illegitimate children. About this society which has been judging her and putting her down just because she fell in love with a married man. I can never take courage to do that, we might just both break down and cry a bucket of tears.


It has never been an issue for me, or the rest of the family (at least not that I know). I just really can't help it but feel bad (or maybe feel mad) at those who explicitly say things without thinking how much they could hurt a Grace Ibuna, my mom, a mistress.


......
I don't know the two "wives" in any way except for those things the media show about them. I have my own judgements and biases as well. I respect those opinions of others. But the sad reality is, this country's "freedom of expression" is almost always abused.


And the Grace-Aleli drama continues...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ate Valerie ;) I've been a constant visitor of your blog just a couple of weeks ago.Anyway, I have been one of those who frequently eat lunch at your Mom's store when I was in high school. I may not know her on a personal level but with the warm smiles that she gave us every time we're there and the way she welcomes every student in her store I can see how good she is. No wonder she's blessed with wonderful daughters :)) So to those people who have been bashing and judging your mom all these years, they don't know how wonderful she is! God Bless you and your family :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela (or Nicole?). Thanks for taking time to read my posts. Yes, my mom's good in PR. Haha! No,she's not perfect, but she's my mom! :D And she's been very strong all these years. Thanks! God bless you,too! :))

    ReplyDelete